Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Week In Review...

It seems like this week has been a busy one for the Allen family. I thought I would write down a few thoughts about what I learned this week, and why not just blog about it? Maybe this will become a weekly tradition. We will see. So here is what I learned:

  • I need a car with 4 wheel drive. The next car. In like 8 years.
  • Never underestimate mother nature.
  • I need a supply of food and water in the car in case I am stuck on SR 92 with the rest of my neighbors for 6 hours.
  • I need more friends who do not live on our mountain in case I need a place to stay (see above comments.)
  • I have the best neighbors. A friend was at the school when the storm hit Wednesday and was able to bring Gabe home with her. I knew he was in good hands and wasn't worried.
  • We do not have "terrible twos" at our house. We have "tornado twos". I cannot keep on top of all of her messes!!
  • It's the little touches on Valentine's Day that count. This I learned from Jesse, who cooked us heart shaped pancakes for breakfast, and Sheila - a friend who is always doing the sweetest things for her family. I want to be more like her.
  • Any special time spent with your children is irreplaceable. Gabe and I went to the movies together on the day school was canceled. I love spending time with just me and him.
  • A mother's reflexes are much faster that a father's. Especially in the middle of the night when vomit is involved.
  • A husband who is willing to clean the entire house while I am gone is an angel. (Thanks, babe!)
  • It is near impossible to find brown dress shoes for a toddler right before Easter. But there are some really cute white ones, so I got those too. Thank-you, Target.

7 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Your weather is crazy! Do what we did - buy a flat tote that will sit int he bottom of your trunk. Put water, granola bars, etc. on the inside. Great for those emergencies that are unexpected! Love to all!

Kris said...

You crack me up Trish....I can imagine the week you had from that summary!! I'm impressed you lived to tell about it! Hope next week is better! Take Care!!

Pedaling said...

you are too sweet and give me way too much credit, but thanks.
i love the idea of things you learned this week - those were all useful lessons. I learned many years ago that big daddy's reflexes coming out of sleep were also much slower to respond as well. maybe it's a guy thing!

Abigail said...

that is so funny! I posted the same thing tonight, not knowing that you did this on your blog. Weird! I didn't have anything to blog about so I did a weekly review. I think this should be something I do every week as well! I'm glad we had the same blogger thoughts. Miss you! Love you!

Amy said...

It has been a crazy week! I agree with the four wheel drive car. Especially living on Traverse Mountain. B has the same car as you and he always gets stuck in the snow! I'm glad Steph came to the rescue for Gabe. I'm sure it was comforting to know that she was there for your family.It is so important to have emergency supplies in your car. I was just thinking what would've happend if I was stuck out on SR 92 with my kids. It's a horrible thought!

Kristen said...

I can ditto everything you said - even the house cleaning or the attempt at it - anything is appreciated.

It is hard to find brown dress shoes for a toddler in Oct too! If you didn't find any I would suggest Nordstrom - way overpriced but the only place that had them in stock for a desperate flower girl.

Ash said...

Trish I love your week in review. It sounds really cool. Great for blogging I think. Nice work. That storm was a night I will never forget. I am so glad gabe made it home ok. He is precious I think.