Sunday, January 18, 2009

My latest read...

This was the last book we read for Book Club: Left To Tell. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! It is about this woman who survived the Rwanda Holocaust in 1994 by hiding in a cramped bathroom with seven other starving women for 91 days. It was amazing story that truly touched me.

Reading this book brought back a memory from college. During my freshmen year at ISU, my English 101 teacher was from Rwanda. I remember him being absent one day and hearing that his family had been murdered in Rwanda. Of course, I felt horrible for him, but not until now that I read the full historical account do I really understand what happened that day to him and his family. Tragic.

4 comments:

Tara Hoppie said...

You have convinced me. Now I have to read it. Thanks for the reccomendation.

BTW, I love the flashback Friday photo. Wow, that is SOME HAIR! I remember in the 90's I used to visit family in Utah and Idaho (I am from Cali), and I used to think they were so behind the times. I remember that poofy hair was OUT in Cali durring the mid nineties, and I loved to giggle at all the Utah and Idaho girl's 'dos! Mean, hu? You are awesome!

Carrie and Jeff said...

We also read this book for our book club. I loved it, but it is so sad. I just can't imagine living in a place where your own neighbors are hunting you. Horrible.

Cindy G said...

I'm going to have to add that to my wish list at the library. Sounds remarkable but heartbreaking.

Jacquie said...

I loved this book too. I read it only to find out a week to late she received the freedom award this summer at the Freedom Festival and she spoke. I was so sad I missed it. Honestly what an amazing women!