Friday, March 14, 2008

Flashback Friday...

We just became the proud owners of a Scanner, and I am so excited to scan all of those old pictures I took before I got a digital camera. So, I decided to add a Flashback Friday to my blog where I can share a photo from "The Olden Days". Feel free to laugh at our hair - we both used to have some - and our clothing choices.

For the first Flashback Friday I thought about doing a photo that we always giggle about, but intstead I have been thinking about a particular incident that happened to our family exactly 8 years ago. I would say that this incident changed my life. Here is the picture:
Eight years ago today, I was sitting in the hospital with our sweet baby boy whose 6-month old body was fighting bacterial meningitis. There were several seizures, what seemed like miles of wire, sleepless nights in the waiting room, warm hugs from family and friends, good days and bad days, visits from the Rodeo Queens and members of our singles ward where Jesse was serving, lots of prayers, lots of promises...but what I remember most and the reason why I still have his sweet spirit here with me today is the miracle of modern medicine, loving doctors and nurses, answers to prayers, tender mercies, and most importantly - the power of the priesthood. I am trying my best to keep the promises made during those three weeks. I love my little Gabriel and know that he was kept here for a specific purpose. Maybe, He just knew that his mommy needed him...

20 comments:

Amy said...

I love those pictures! I want a scanner so bad then I can scan pictures of the old days too.

Soccer Mom said...

I remember those long days in the hospital and the tears and prayers! Our prayers definately were answered and Gabe is still here! He is such a special spirit for our whole family! LOVE YA! XOXOXO

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

Cute picture! I've got a scanner and my mom hijacked it so she could get all of our old pictures digitalized. I've always had a testimony of the priesthood but hearing others experiences always builds mine that much more.

Troop 2531 said...

ok this is hillarious! I didn't know either of you back then so seeing Jesse with hair is funny! Good idea to look back at older pics, might have to steal this idea :)

Nikki said...

I didn't even recognize you in the photo! How crazy! I never realized how important the priesthood was to me until I had my own child. Now, I don't ever want to be without it in my life. Its amazing how wonderful being a parent is and what we learn from it. You are amazing! Keep up the Flashbacks, I want to see more old school photos!!! LOL

martha corinna said...

Trish, I didn't even recognize you!
I always love hearing Gabe's story because it is inspiring. Thanks for your example.

Marisa said...

Oh, wow! I flashbacked with you...that was so scary. We were such new parents and I couldn't imagine that anything would happen to our little boys!

Wow -- I love the hair and clothes! Jesse,

I may have to steal this too -- a friend from HS just tagged a photo from our HS prom!!! :0

Our Loved-up Family said...

Look at you two:) Jesse looks like Nicholas Cage in it, or maybe I just need glasses?

christensen crew said...

That Picture is so sweet. When I see a picture like this attached to such a neat story, I really appreciate how priceless pictures really are. I bet this pic brings that experience all back! What a darling little baby Gabe was!

I loved this post, I can only imagine how this experience brought you and Jesse together as a young family! Wow.

Abigail said...

oh my gosh you look so dang young..you still do look so young. It looks like you were in like 9th grade or something in this pic! HAHA I LOVE IT! Your the best!

Tate Family said...

Seriously, who's that girl in the pic with Jesse and Gabe?
Oh trish...thanks for the reminder of staying on track... I sure love you and plan on coming over to scan pics

Valorie Johnston said...

HI Trisha -
It's Val Hubbard. Funny to hear people comment that it doesn't look like you cause that's exactly how I remember you. I found you through Michelle's blog. Hope you don't mind that I say HI! It's so fun to see everyone's life now with kids. Glad you have your little boy... I am sure that was a traumatic time in your life.
Take care!

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

You've just been Purse Tagged! Check out my blog for more details!

Palmer Family said...

Love it! Gabe is definately here for a reason. I should scan some old photo's as well. You guys look so cute and both look like you are about 14. So cute!

Kelie said...

Love the picture! Thanks for sharing about your experience! So touching! and So wonderful to have that handsome little man in your life!

Kristen said...

That picture is a true keeper! I didn't recognize either one of you - boy how you two have matured gracefully! I am glad it all turned out well for Gabe, I know others who children did not make it through the same illness.

Cindy G said...

You know, I didn't even know that you had gone through all of that until years later. I remember I saw you at your baby shower and then not for a VERY long time after that. I am so glad for you that everything was okay. Gabe sure is a cutie. What is it about you Madsen girls and your babies in the hospital? :)

The Christensen Family said...

Yay! Love those trips down memory lane! Sweet memories of Gabe - he is definitely here for a reason!:) I just love him and can't imagine your little family without him! Let's play soon... Love you guys!

Katie Allen said...

You two looked so young. Jesse look at all that Hair!!!

Sarah said...

20 comments?? you are so popular. I'm a little jealous. I guess I need an amazing story to go along with a great picture! Love that picture:)