Saturday, August 9, 2008

I did it!!!

I made it through my first 1/2 Marathon! Yay! The Provo River 1/2 Marathon was today, andI actually did it and survived!

The buses left the Riverwood's Parking Lot at 4:45 AM to take us up Provo Canyon. It was cold! There were over 2000 runners and about 30 porta-potties. Do the math....about 70 people per potty. And we all had to go before the race! No wonder they bused us up there so early.

Anyways, this is kind of how I felt towards the end...


I saw some neighbors and friends from the gym. I found my life saver, a friend from the gym - Stacey - about mile 8. We stuck together after that and encouraged one another. I don't know if encouraged is the right word. Stacey and her husband come to my Tread classes at the gym. She trained MUCH harder and better than I did for this race. So...when we hooked up I was honestly thinking, "Oh, crap - I cannot let her pass me. She is expecting me to do well. I cannot quit." So, I didn't. And either did she! Thanks Stac for the motivation!

Now that it is over...what did I learn?
  • Take some ibuprofen before the race and right after - my legs are going to be aching for days.
  • Find a good friend to run with.
  • An i-Pod is a MUST.
  • Train harder/smarter.
  • My stomach does like my body pushing past 10 miles - thank goodness for bathrooms!
  • I can do it again, and I probably will.
Oh - and I didn't really have a goal for my time - I just wanted to finish. But I think for my first, I did pretty well. 2:04.

15 comments:

Carrie and Jeff said...

You are a huge inspiration and your time was awesome. I wish I could do that. I hope I can someday.

Pedaling said...

loved this post trish! and yes a friend and an ipod, both are so helpful. some races wont allow ipods though, and thats a real bummer. glad you did so well so early and yay for potties along the way....ive heard of the potty problems one can have while pushing themselves running..eewwhh.
love your comic and yes i am swiping it from you! thanks.

April said...

Wow Trish! That's awesome! Hopefully someday I can get as motivated as you and do something like that! Congrats on your big accomplishment!

Aly said...

Wow That is amazing! what an accomplishment!!

Palmer Family said...

Great Job! This is one of my goals as well.

Dash Of Sass said...

Way to go Trish! I couldn't do that! I am starting to take up running, because I hate it so much I figured I need to achieve something I never thought I could! I don't think I'll be entering into a marathon anytime soon, but this has inspired me! yOu ROCK!

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

I'm so proud of you! Way to go! I'm glad you accomplished your goal and yes your time was fabulous.

Troop 2531 said...

You are amazing! I can't even imagine! I need would love to have 1/2 of your energy :)

Sarah said...

no laughing from me! :) way to go!!!! Maybe i will work up to something like this after Tanner. I'll be your buddy! Love the cartoon. That's hilarious! how did you find it?

Cindy G said...

Good job! My sister, Holly, has run a few half marathons and her husband Jared has been running marathons the past few years. I am in awe of anyone who can do it. It takes so much work, but seems to be very fulfilling because people can't seem to just do it once. Congrats!

~Natalie~ said...

YAY!!!! Good job Trish! WOW!! That is awesome. I knew you would do just fine.

Rane said...

It was so fun and funny to run into you at the race. You did so great. It's such a pretty run. I was a little bitter with the "S" curve ending...it was never ending. :)

LOVE LOVE the county fair posts. I was chuckling on the picture with the perm...i think we all had permed hair at one point...HOWEVER...i was not so fortunate to have a GREAT belt buckle like that. LUCKY!

Marisa said...

Congratulations!! What a great way to spend two hours (right?)...

Cash just finished the Emmett tri (he did the sprint this year...between family reunions he didn't train like he wanted). Anyway, you've inspired me to actually get a bike and do that silly triathlon!

Stephen and Effie said...

Good for you. Maybe someday I will have enough will power to do soemthing like that...let s not count on it for now

Ash said...

Trish Hi! Way to go on your marathon. Your amazing. That's great. What an accomplishment. Your time is good too. So cool. Miss ya.