Monday, June 16, 2008

Ouch!

Sunday afternoon, our family took a nice walk to a park above our house. Emma rode in the stroller and Gabe strapped on his helmet and rode his bike. It is quite a little hill to climb from our house to the park. We enjoyed talking with neighbors, watching the kids play on the playground, and reading the newspaper. When it was time to head down the hill, Gabe took off on his bike and we followed him with Emma in the stroller. Not too far down the hill a car pulled up asking if we had a little boy riding a bike. Oh, dear...yep, we do. He was at the bottom of the hill and hurt badly. The guy took Jesse to the bottom in his car, and I ran with Emma in the stroller. When we got to the bottom, we found a sobbing Gabe, a wrecked bike, and a rod iron fence that looked like this...

A guy from our ward saw it all happen and called 911....he said Gabe was literally flying down the hill. We don't know if he froze up and couldn't pull the brakes....who knows. But he hit the curb and then the fence. Thank goodness for helmets...his is cracked. Kids - wear your helmets. The ambulance came, and then we took him to the ER to have his leg x-rayed. And...it's broke. This is just a splint. We get the cast on Wednesday for 6-7 weeks. (Any ideas for summer fun with a cast?)

His face is pretty bruised up...

And his arms...
But he gets to do this all day...eat Skittles and watch movies...

21 comments:

Troop 2531 said...

poor Gabe!!! I can not believe how hard he must of hit, especially from the look at that fence!!! So scary!!!! I'll be showing Kailey these pictures tonight to encourage her to always wear her helmet!!

Kris said...

Poor Guy!!!! That's so sad!! I'm really glad he's semi ok though!! Hang in there Gabe!!! You too Trish!

Our Loved-up Family said...

Poor little guy. Thank goodness for his helmet. Skittles and movies.... at least there's an upside:)

Soccer Mom said...

Get Well soon! We love you! IF you need anything, just let Aunt Nell know and I will send it to you!!!

Carrie and Jeff said...

That is scary. I'm worried that my kids will do something like that someday. I'll make sure they wear their helmets. You're a good mom to make him wear it. Can you imagine what would have happened if he wasn't wearing one? Scary thought. I hope he doesn't get too bored.

Dash Of Sass said...

trish! that is so scary!!!! not fun! at least it will make for a good "remember when" story for fathers day!!! wow!!! at least he gets a huge bag of skittles! wish i could eat them all day!!!!

Anonymous said...

We have a little sumpin' sumpin' for Gabe! Looks to me like the fence got the worst of it! Please let us know if you need any help with either Gabe or Emma....so sorry this happened.

Pedaling said...

ouchie mama!
that is so sad.
I hope it's a speedy recovery and how scary

Michelle said...

From the looks of the fence, Gabe's lucky he doesn't look worse! Hope he recovers fast. Cooper would be jealous - skittles are his favorite treat right now (thanks to grandpa Tim!).

Shar Chavira said...

oh my gosh!! He is so banged up. poor thing. that is so sad. I'm glad he was wearing a helmet. Let us know if you need anything. :)

Shar Chavira said...

Tanner says, "Oh, That gotta hurt".

Sarah said...

ouch, ouch, ouch! Yes thank goodness for helmets. When Andie starts riding, this will be a must!!

I've been trying to call, but something's up with your home phone I think. Anyway...how's today looking for you? Can I take Emma?

Lisanne Lee said...

Thank you so much for last night. I came to try and brighten Gabe's day, but you ended up brightening mine instead. You guys are the salt of the earth. Loves to you.

Thank you, thank you.

HANG IN THERE GABE!

Elder Quinn Kay Longhurst said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Sarah says she feels bad for Gabe! What a scary experience. How bad was the break? Obviously bad enough to be in a cast for a VERY long time! I know your not much for TV or Video games but my Sarah is having a ball with a nintendo DS. She and Quinn both have one and play each other for most of the day. Hang in there. Poor Kid!

Jon Lefrandt said...

Oh poor Gabe! I can't think of anything worse for a little boy at the begining of the summer. I miss you Trish...it's been too long. I say if we don't have book club all summer we should at least have a little get together at the park or something, don't you think?

Aly said...

We have been so sad about this over at our house! Joey can't stop talking about it! Poor Gabe! I can't believe the picture of the fence. We're thinking about you all.

tiff and chris johnson said...

I heard all about the terrible news at my parents house on Sunday! So sorry little gabe! Get well soon!!! xoxo

Jen Carpenter said...

Trish, I am so sad for him, and for all of you! I am glad he is okay though! That has always been one of my fears! Good luck with this summer, I throw some ideas your way if anything comes to mind!

Kelie said...

so sad!!! and so glad that it wasn't worse! how terrible! love those skittles too! I guess he just needs to use his old lemonade stand and make some money off some sympathetic people. tee hee! hope he gets feeling better soon! miss you guys!

Kathy said...

Hey Gabe, Get Well Soon! We love you and can't wait until you come to see us in July. If you need anything let us know.

Love Aunt Kathy, Nicole, Eric, Justin & Blake

Valorie Johnston said...

HOW AWFUL!... Man he really got beat up!... Hope he heals quickly!