Monday, December 17, 2007

The Advent Calendar...


Every family should have the tradition of the Advent Calendar! What child doesn't love to wake up every morning to count down one more day until Christmas? Ours is a quilted tree with a button for one ornament to be hung on each day. Gabriel loves to lay all of the fabric ornaments out every morning and make his selection. Lucky boy...he doesn't have to take turns with anyone. I especially love our Advent Calendar, because I made it. It's nothing impressive, but was made with love by me! I can still remember our Advent Calendar growing up: it was a felt tree sewn on what seemed to be burlap. There were tiny wooden ornaments, each with a gold thread acting as the hook. We had to use a straight pin to put each one on. I, unlike Gabe, had to share the sacred morning duty with my sisters. And no one ever gave up their turn. I wonder if my Mom still has that Advent Calendar...

8 comments:

The Christensen Family said...

Of course... So talented in EVERY aspect... Who can just make a homemade advent calendar?! It is darling and what a fun tradition for your little family... We love you!

Pedaling said...

i love advent calendars - my kids are starting to get too old - except for boo and half the time they forget to check for their treat. Very Sad -

We were entertained in class today - lisa and i laughed all the way home. the sounds were interestimg but that unitard has got to go!

martha corinna said...

I love advent calendars too. Yours is great. I love all of your Christmas posts Trish.

Sarah said...

I saw this last night & meant to ask you if it had special meaning. THere is no way I would have thought you made it. You don't give yourself enough credit for all of your talents!!

I am sad that I forgot to check out the Hallmark tree. I really wanted to see it. Will it still be up after Christmas??

Anonymous said...

Hey, classic advent....I used to love those things when I was younger...except I had the kind from Albertson's with the cheap waxey chocolate...yuck. Anyway, keep the pics coming!

Lisanne Lee said...

Emma is WAAAY too much. Her little hair in her Christmas jammies...I love her to pieces. I love your family dearly. Can't wait for teaching to be over so we can get more time together.

Warmest wishes and love,

Lu

Tate Family said...

YES...they are a must...
And great skill too! Of course I look at that side of things!

Sarah said...

ps: no tickets!! hallelujah! tell gabe good luck in his school production tomorrow!