Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas at Home...

This is Christmas Memory/Tradition 10. I've almost made it, and have thoroughly enjoyed stepping back and reflecting on this joyous season with so many of you! I have been thinking a lot about Christmas growing up. Here are some of the memories of my childhood:

  • Waking up REALLY early to go LOOK at our presents...then go get Mom and Dad later.
  • It was so cold in the family room where we opened presents. We all brought blankets and Dad would crank up the electric heat!
  • Our Christmas Tree was always real, usually the Charlie Brown variety. My parents still go cut one down every year.
  • The lights on the tree were those huge C9 bulbs. The cool part was, my parents had these tin reflectors that went behind the lights. So cool. Did anyone else have those?
  • Our neighbor, Bev, always brought a plateful of cookies right before the holiday. These were by far my favorite neighbor gift. There was a huge variety and my favorites were always the candy cane cookies and a butter cookie. Mmmm...
  • Over winter break we always played in the snow. I remember one particular Christmas when Nell and I got new snowclothes. We were out building caves and forts every day! Doesn't it seem like we had more snow back then?
  • I loved that relaxed feeling after all the presents were opened, the sun was finally up, everyone was content, things were just right...
  • My Mom had this tiny candle set of Santa, carolers, angels...it was like a nativity set with Santa...but we also had a real nativity.
  • The Ward Christmas party always had Santa there. As a child that was the best. I was always so nervous to take my turn...why?
  • I loved the magic of Christmas as a child and LOVE to see my children experience the same magic.

5 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Do you remember trying to light the Santa and Carolers, and hope they didn't fall over to light the house on fire? Awesome memory! I remember it all! Right down to the cold front room!!! Love Ya!

Sarah said...

so on a scale of 1-10, how mad are you that we didn't have a Santa at the ward party?? Sooooo sorry. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey...being so sneaky to go down and look at the presents before the rest of the family is awake? Classic!

Pedaling said...

great memories -

have a very merry christmas !

i am planning on seeing you bright and early Monday morning - we'll see though, but i am planning on it.

Debbie & Fam said...

Remember the Ward (really family) party was on Christmas Eve and we usually went in our pjs. We would then go to Grandma Kate's and watch her open presents. We are so blessed. Merry Christmas!!