Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas with Kyle...

Sixteen years ago today, my older sister, Paula, was expecting her first baby. A boy, and the first grandson! The baby came early. Paula had Toxemia and Group B Strep was transferred to the baby when he was born. This is a life threatening infection for newborns. Kyle was born December 20, 1991. I still remember that Christmas. He was at McKay-Dee Medical Center on Christmas Day that year. Our family woke up as usual on Christmas day, opened presents, and had a Christmas meal. I still remember kneeling at our chairs before we ate, listening to a tender prayer offered by my Dad to our loving Heavenly Father to bless this new baby and Paula and Ray. We went to the hospital later that day. Kyle was hooked up to every machine possible, had the best doctors and nurses (who couldn't resist him!), and had many prayers offered on his behalf. In a short amount of time, he had open heart surgery, 2 complete blood transfusions, a collapsed lung, and every drug and experimental drug used on him. But he was a tough little guy! Sometime in February, he was able to come home. I can still picture him hooked up to his little Oxygen tank. It really was so cute! Today, Kyle turns 16! He loves to wrestle and be a cowboy! And I'm sure a few girls are chasing him!! I don't remember what I got that year for Christmas, but I do remember praying for a miracle. And a miracle is what we got...Happy Birthday Kyle!!

5 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Thanks for adding this to your blog. Of course, you have me in complete tears. I to don't remember what I got that year for Christmas. I just remember that prayer that dad offered and everyone kneeling around the table. Definately once Christmas I don't think any of us will every forget! Love ya!

The Christensen Family said...

what a sweet memory for your family... love you guys!

Abigail said...

Thanks for such a sweet memory. I love ya Trish. By the way, thanks for your darling Christmas card I got in the mail a few days ago. Your family is amazing. XOXO

Tate Family said...

That's my favorite story you've shared yet (don't get me wrong, others are great, but awesome experience Trish) THANK YOU FOR SHARING...
Also, how did you post your family Christmas card from Shutterfly? If long explanation, call me PLEASE, I need step by step play!!!

Red Bed Head said...

Wow, what an amazing story. I have memories like that where time seems to stand still with fear and hope.