Saturday, December 8, 2007

Hallmark Ornaments...


Growing up, it was a tradition in Jesse's family for his Mom, Susan, to give her sons a Hallmark Ornament each year for Christmas. Susan gave me all of Jesse's ornaments at one of my Bridal Showers. It was one of the best gifts I received! At first the collection was small, but it has continued to grow substantially each year since we have been married...thanks to Susan! She has continued giving us and our children Hallmark ornaments each year. What started as a small collection and filling a small tree, has turned into several 18 gallon bins in my garage that we haul out at the beginning of each December and start to pick through. They no longer fit on just one tree, so we have to be selective. This year it is all Children Ornaments. We could do a tree with only Santas, only Baseball and Basketball, only Cars and Trains, only cartoon and Disney characters, only the ones that hold special meaning to us... It is so fun to sort through them and see the one's that perhaps didn't make the cut the year before. Someday, we should get a gigantic tree and hang them all on it. I can't even begin to guess how many we have. Maybe I will count them when I put them away in January. Susan is in Greece this year...whatever will we do? Oh ya, buy our own :)

4 comments:

Pedaling said...

that is so cool! what a fun tradition - so what's the tree theme this year?

Trish said...

Sheila, this year it is all Kids Ornaments...Scooby-Doo, Disney, Barbie, Snoopy, Robots, Power-Ranger, Toys...it is really cute this year!

Palmer Family said...

I have loved reading about all your memories!!

Sarah said...

I can't believe I haven't seen the tree yet. And I can't believe you have so so many! What a fun tradition.